Thursday 23 October 2014

TIME OUT Challenge # 17

Hard to believe I know but another two weeks have flown by and we are ready for another challenge at TIME OUT.

This time we are to be inspired by the words:

                                 Birds of a feather flock together

You can use these words to create any ideas you like, whether you focus on one word or the phrase itself, its totally up to you.

We are also joined by a Guest Designer for this challenge, Jill V from My Life in Paper. Her cards are so clever and creative, and she does amazing things with colour. I hope you get a chance to pop over to her blog and see her creations.

Birds certainly came to mind when thinking about this challenge and also feathers. While sorting through my stamp sets I came across one that I hadn't used and thought it would be perfect!


 
Just before my father passed away last year, I mentioned to him about these cute little birds I had seen while walking the dogs along the river. He told me they were Swallows and they were flying around so close because they were protecting their nests. Now, whenever I see them I always think of him and wonder if its him checking up on me. So this card is for you Dad!

I started by cutting some vellum to the size of my card. I stamped the 'Swallow' stamp randomly with Versamark ink and heat embossed in silver. I then found a light grey patterned paper, cut to the size of the card front and adhered it directly. Vellum is always hard for me to attach, so this time I used double-sided tape in tiny pieces and put it behind each bird, with pieces in each corner. To carry on the 'circle' theme of the pattern paper, I used a circle hole punch on white card stock and stamped my sentiment in red. 

I just love this card and the more I practice my heat embossing, the better its gradually becoming (thank goodness!). 

The 'Swallow' stamp is from Rosies Studio. The patterned paper is from Chickaniddy Crafts 'Jolly Good' and the sentiment stamp is also from Rosies Studio.

As I've done some embossing, I'm going to link this to the challenge at CAS on Sunday #44 where their theme is 'Emboss it'.

And since I used vellum, I will link this also to Addicted to CAS # 50 where their theme is 'Vellum'.

Also, as I've stamped and embossed with this card, I'll link to the Stamplorations October Challenge where their theme is:




And lucky last, I will also link to the Simon Says Stamp - Monday Challenge where their theme is 'Anything Goes'.

Whew, what a list!!

You have two weeks to join in with the TIME OUT challenge and if you need any inspiration, please go over to the blog to see what the Design Team have created, their cards are simply amazing!! Really hope to see you there and can't wait to visit your own blog too!

Take care
Shona



17 comments:

  1. Stunning card, Shona. I love how the DP peaks through the vellum and the bird stamp is very pretty. I'm sure your dad would have loved this card. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad would have loved this, all the love you have out into its design! All that embossing and fussy cutting was well worth it as the birds really do look like they are flying in a flock! Fabulous design Shona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you see the birds and think of your father makes this card so special... It is a beautiful design and the stamp is super! Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful card Shona! I like the use of vellum, and the sentiment is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow beautiful card with those birds. Thanks for joining us over at CAS on sunday

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tribute to your dad Shona. Absolutely gorgeous embossing. Love how it feels like a flock of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those birds make a beautiful background Shona. Swallows here dive bomb us if we are close to their nest. So funny. I love to watch them at the park soar and dive close to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous design and great use of the vellum - love the feeling of movement and speed you achieved on this beautiful card.
    Thank you for playing along at ATCAS - Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwww...love this post Shona. Such a beautiful card, love the embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty! Love the pattern behind the vellum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shona!! Love your card... love your story just as much. So hard to lose a father but I'm betting he is looking after you, just as you suspected!
    The vellum looks just fabulous embossed with your lovely swallows...
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply stunning - love your beautifully embossed silver swallows on the vellum panel! A lovely tribute to your Dad....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely card and thoughts behind it

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely to hear the story behind the card so very touching and am sure you dad is smiling down on you. Thank you so much for sharing with us at ATCAS i love how you used the vellum and the gorgeous muted tones with the pop of red.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful, Shona ... there's such wonderful movement in your flock of gorgeously embossed swallows! A lovely post, I'm sure your Dad would have loved your card ... and that perfect sentiment! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome :) Love those birds, thank you for sharing with STAMPlorations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Life IS beautiful, as is your card. I love anything vellum, and your card evokes a peaceful feeling, even with the movement of the birds. Thanks for sharing the card and story. And thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations this month.

    ReplyDelete